The Phillies made a few roster moves prior to Monday night’s series opener against the Washington Nationals.
Andrew McCutchen (left knee inflammation) and Vince Velasquez (right middle finger blister) have been placed on the 10-day injured list. They have also recalled Enyel De Los Santos from Triple-A Lehigh Valley and reinstated Andrew Knapp from the paternity list. McCutchen’s IL stint is retroactive to Aug. 1 while Velasquez’s is retroactive to July 31.
McCutchen left Saturday’s game after feeling some discomfort in his knee after running to first on a double play ball. He underwent an MRI on Sunday. Joe Girardi said after Sunday’s game that he anticipated getting Rhys Hoskins back in the lineup before McCutchen. Hoskins, who is dealing with a groin injury, was not included in the lineup for Monday’s game.
McCutchen underwent ACL surgery on his left knee in June 2019.
The Phillies, who are in the midst of a crucial stretch of division games that concludes with a home series against the first-place Mets, are going to miss McCutchen’s bat. Since June 1, McCutchen is slashing .271/.389/.574 with 13 home runs and 37 RBIs. He’s thrived ever since Girardi moved him away from the leadoff spot.
Velasquez is also slated to miss some time with a blister on his right middle finger. It’s unclear if Velasquez was dealing with the blister in his last two outing in which he has combined to give up 11 earned runs in 4 1/3 innings. He was removed from the rotation following his last start against Pittsburgh and moved to the bullpen to take Chase Anderson’s spot as the designated long man.
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- Brad Miller’s Grand Slam Reminds Us Why We Love Baseball
- Report: Phillies Liked Craig Kimbrel, But Top Prospect Mick Abel Was A Non-Starter
- Phillies To ‘Revisit The Conversation’ On Cole Hamels With Trade Deadline Gone
- Max Scherzer Reportedly Was Unwilling To Approve Trade To Phillies
- ‘Man I Throw Hay Bales On A Trailer’: Christian McGowan Comes From Small Town To Phillies
- Phillies 8th Rounder Jason Ruffcorn Brings ‘Signature’ Look In Relief
- Selling Teams Reportedly Asked Phillies About Alec Bohm
- Brian Barber On Mick Abel: ‘He’s Exactly What We Thought He Was Going To Be’
- Exec On Gabe Kapler: ‘He Learned A Lot Of Lessons’ From Time With Phillies
- Phillies 2021 Walk-Up Songs