Final Score: Phillies 3, Orioles 2
With J.T. Realmuto at the plate with two outs in the bottom of the tenth, the Phillies were down to their last lifeline of the 2021 season. If the game ended with a second-straight defeat against the Baltimore Orioles, the Phillies were in danger of falling four games out of first place with 11 left to play.
On a 2-1 count, Realmuto reached for a changeup outside the zone and flicked it down the right-field line. The right fielder Anthony Santander couldn’t make the catch. Ronald Torreyes scored from third and Bryce Harper, who was intentionally walked, hustled all the way home. The Phillies raced out of the dugout and mobbed Harper at home plate.
It was fitting that Harper’s legs won the Phillies the game. He made two egregious mistakes on the bases that may have cost the Phillies multiple runs. First he tried to stretch a clear single into a double and was tagged out in the third inning.
In the eighth, Harper was at third with the infield in. He wasn’t going on contact as Joe Girardi gave him a read. Matt Vierling hit a soft ground ball to second and Harper hesitated slightly and went home. He was tagged out at home and the Phillies squandered yet another chance to get a run on the board against one of the worst pitching staffs in baseball.
“I saw the ball down, got off a little too far and hesitated a little bit and I decided to go,” Harper said. “Next time, I need to be better, staying in the run down, at least getting the guy to second base with J.T. coming up. … That can’t happen in that situation. I made two bad baserunning mistakes tonight.”
In the battle of the bullpens, the Phillies came out on top. Adonis Medina made his second career start for the Phillies and allowed one run in 3 2/3 innings. The rest of the Phillies ‘pen allowed zero earned runs in 6 2/3 inning in what was an impressive effort all-around. The plan worked this time around, so it wouldn’t be surprising if Joe Girardi opts for a similar strategy during the final regular season home game on Sunday.
Tuesday’s win marked the Phillies’ first victory against Baltimore since July 12, 2018. Zack Wheeler will get the ball Wednesday in his final regular season home start of the season. Left-hander Keegan Akin is scheduled to pitch for the Orioles. The Phillies are 77-74.
Shibe Vintage Sports Bullpen Performance
Both teams did not have a traditional starting pitcher on the mound.
- Connor Greene: 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 SO, 24 pitches
- Marcos Diplán: 2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 SO, 34 pitches
- Tom Eshelman: 2 2/3 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 3 SO, 39 pitches
- Dillon Tate: 1 1/3 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 SO, 18 pitches
- Fernando Abad: 2/3 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 SO, 6 pitches
- Eric Hanhold: 1/3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 SO, 5 pitches
- Tyler Wells: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 SO, 16 pitches
- César Valdez: 2/3 IP, 1 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO, 9 pitches
- Adonis Medina: 3 2/3 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 3 SO, 69 pitches
- José Alvarado: 1 1/3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 SO, 15 pitches
- Archie Bradley: 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 SO, 18 pitches
- Héctor Neris: 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 SO, 17 pitches
- Ian Kennedy: 2 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO, 30 pitches
Phillies Nugget Of The Game
Bryce Harper hit his 39th double of the season in the eighth, which is a new career high. He hit 38 doubles in his MVP season in 2015.
Ticket IQ Next Game
- Sept 22 vs. Baltimore Orioles at 7:05 PM
- NBC Sports Philadelphia
- Sportsradio 94 WIP
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- Phillies Nation Top 20 Prospects: September 2021
- Promising Catcher Logan O’Hoppe Taking Notes As He Rises Through Phillies Ranks
- ‘Every Indication’ Is That Joe Girardi Will Return In 2022
- 500 Strikeouts Later, Héctor Neris Remains An Integral Part Of Phillies Bullpen
- Brett Myers Is Trying To Make A Comeback To Philadelphia — But Not To Play Baseball
- ‘I’m A Little Different Than Most’: Meet The Phillies’ Eccentric New Pitching Prospect
- September Is Far From Aaron Nola’s Biggest Issue
- Bryce Harper Offers To Fill In At Catcher
- Phillies Reportedly Are ‘Favorites’ To Sign Highly-Touted Venezuelan Prospect
- Phillies 2021 Walk-Up Songs