Tuesday, the Philadelphia Phillies announced a slew of changes to their radio broadcast team for the 2022 season.
As MLB.com‘s Todd Zolecki reported last week, former Phillies Michael Bourn, Chad Durbin, Erik Kratz and Kevin Stocker will be joining the team as rotating color commentators to replace Kevin Frandsen, who departed earlier this offseason for a television role on Washington Nationals broadcasts.
The quartet will work with Scott Franzke — who is entering his 17th season as the radio play-by-play voice of the Phillies — primarily on road broadcasts. Larry Andersen, the Phillies say, “will continue to call most home games.”
Additionally, Gregg Murphy will return to the Phillies Radio Network for a second season, with his role set to expand in 2022. After working in a part-time capacity in 2021, the plan is for Murphy to do pre and post-game on Phillies radio broadcasts for all 162 games (or however many games there end up being) in 2022. Murphy will travel with the team, so he’ll be on site to do the pre and post-game shows for road games.
Murphy will also fill in for Franzke as the radio play-by-play announcer when needed. However, the expectation is that Franzke will call all nine innings of most games, so Murphy would only be on play-by-play on the few days that Franzke is off throughout the season.
Previously, Murphy had been a part of television broadcasts on NBC Sports Philadelphia, serving as a sideline reporter and fill-in play-by-play announcer when Tom McCarthy had off days or NFL broadcasting assignments. His position was eliminated after the 2020 season. There are no current plans for Murphy to be part of television broadcasts again.
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- Through 3 Years, Who Has Been Better — Bryce Harper Or Manny Machado
- Homegrown Phillies Who Were Drafted By Other Teams But Didn’t Sign
- Apparently The Pirates Once Offered Barry Bonds In A Trade To The Phillies
- 4 Former Phillies To Replace Kevin Frandsen On Radio Team In 2022
- Phillies Would Be Wise To Target Established Closer After Lockout
- Watch: One Phillie Apologized To Jackie Robinson For Ben Chapman’s Racism
- Bryce Harper Is Within Striking Distance Of A Home Run Milestone
- New Phillies Catcher Garrett Stubbs May Prove To Be An Ideal Fit In Philadelphia
- Who Were The Best Hitting Pitchers To Play For The Phillies?
- This 2001 Top 10 Phillies Prospects List Is A Sight To Behold