After missing the start of the season due to injury, catcher Rafael Marchan made his 2022 debut in the latest week of the minor-league season.
The 23-year-old joined the High-A Jersey Shore BlueClaws on a rehab assignment on Wednesday, marking his first game action since straining his left hamstring in spring training. Marchan played four games in the team’s series against Greenville.
The BlueClaws are now 16-27 on the season; the Low-A Clearwater Threshers are 23-21, the Double-A Reading Fightin Phils are 19-26; the Triple-A Lehigh Valley IronPigs are 25-23.
Marchan makes return
Stepping on the field for the first time since last season, Marchan doubled and drew two walks for the BlueClaws on Wednesday. He caught again the next day, but went 0-for-4.
After a day off, Marchan doubled again as the DH on Saturday, and he singled as the catcher on Sunday. Through four games, he’s gone 3-for-13 with two walks, two doubles and a run scored.
With Marchan still on the 60-day, major-league injured list, the Phillies will have a decision to make at the end of the glove-first backstop’s rehab assignment. He bounced between Triple-A and the majors last year after playing three games in the bigs in 2020. But with backup catcher Garrett Stubbs performing for the Phillies and Donny Sands hitting well for the IronPigs, Marchan may end up the odd man out at either level.
Wingrove makes most of promotion
First baseman Rixon Wingrove also made his first BlueClaws apperance of the season in the team’s latest series, moving up to Jersey Shore last Tuesday after starting the year with the Threshers.
The Australian prospect hit home runs in three straight games played on Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday, his first three homers of the season.
Wingrove played rookie ball in the Phillies organization in 2018, 2019 and part of 2021, before finishing last season in Low-A. After a slow start in Clearwater this year, he’s taken advantage of his first taste of High-A so far, hitting .368 last week.
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- Phillies 2022 Walk-Up Songs
- John Kruk Returning To Broadcast Booth Friday
- On Joe Girardi’s Unsatisfactory Job Security Comments
- Inquirer Report Says Phillies Are ‘Believed To Be’ Only Team That Failed To Secure Apartments For Minor League Players
- Phillies Nuggets: How Close Is Alec Bohm To Unlocking His Power?
- Scott Franzke Opens Wednesday’s Broadcast With Touching Intro After Texas School Shooting
- Scott Kingery Assigned To Triple-A Lehigh Valley
- The Numbers Behind The Phillies’ Bizarre Cycle Drought
- The Phillies Really Pulled Off A Once-In-A-Generation Collapse
- ‘That Was Pretty Special’: Brad Miller Reflects On Best Moments With Phillies