As if things couldn’t have gotten any worse, the Phillies are now dealing with some COVID issues. Right hander Zack Wheeler was placed on the COVID-19-related injured list prior to Sunday’s game against the Mets. Right hander Connor Brogdon was recalled from Triple-A Lehigh Valley.
Zach Eflin, who was scheduled to start Sunday prior to the Saturday rainout, was also placed on the COVID IL. Francisco Morales was recalled from Double-A Reading to replace Eflin on the roster. Cristopher Sánchez will serve as the 27th man for Sunday’s doubleheader.
A player can be placed on the COVID-19-related IL if they are dealing with symptoms or if they test positive for the virus. There is no minimum stay requirement, so it’s possible that both players can return relatively quickly.
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- Phillies 2022 Walk-Up Songs
- For Now, Joe Girardi’s Job Is Reportedly Safe
- The Phillies Really Pulled Off A Once-In-A-Generation Collapse
- ‘That Was Pretty Special’: Brad Miller Reflects On Best Moments With Phillies
- Phillies Honor Minor League Pitcher Who Is Battling Cancer
- Media Review: ESPN’s New Sunday Night Baseball Booth, In-Game Interviews
- Sam Fuld Talks Decision To Demote Bryson Stott To Triple A
- Is There Value In Going Ballistic On An Umpire? Joe Girardi Weighs In.
- 2021 First-Round Pick Andrew Painter Strikes Out 13 Consecutive Batters For Single-A Clearwater
- ‘It’s A Moment That I’ll Always Have’: Andrew McCutchen Reflects On HR In First Phillies At-Bat