Charity Events

Wiffadelphia a huge success

2013 Wiffadelphia ChampionsMore than 150 people descended upon Big League Dreams in Medford, NJ on Saturday for the first annual Wiffadelphia charity wiffleball tournament. Through their generosity, the Phillies Nation Foundation was able to raise over $2,000 and collect 400 lbs. of food for Philabundance and its mission to drive hunger from our communities.

Congratulations to the winning team Buzz’s Girlfriend…Wiff who beat Jawn Stars 10-0 in the final that started just after the witching hour. And a hat tip to Jordan from Swamp Ducks who won the speed pitch contest with a big league toss of 82 mph.

A huge thanks goes out to the Phillies Nation team, our sponsors and the staff of Big League Dreams for making this event a reality.

We have a bunch of photos below for your viewing pleasure, but they don’t quite capture the budding rivalry brewing between Team Pat Gallen and Team Corey Seidman. We’ll also be airing some video from the tournament during the premiere of Phillies Nation TV, this Tuesday at 6:30 pm on The Comcast Network. Come watch it with us at our premiere party.

1. Don M

March 11, 2013 at 11:14 am

Great time.. thanks for organizing it!

2. Bart Shart

March 11, 2013 at 12:02 pm

I hope wiffleball becomes a professional sport someday.

3. Chuck A.

March 11, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Had a blast. Pat, Brian, Ian… it was great to finally meet you guys. Thanks for all your hard work!

• Brian Michael

March 11, 2013 at 2:05 pm

It was great meeting you too! I hope to see you and some more PN commenters at an upcoming event.

• Don M

March 11, 2013 at 3:52 pm

Chuck .. what team were you on?

• Ian Riccaboni

March 11, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Had a blast, Chuck! Sorry I had a 4-run third in the game that eliminated us. My bend-but-don’t break wiffleball strategy didn’t quite work!

4. Chuck A.

March 11, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Don – PhilliesNation team with Ian. You were there I see by your comments. Would have been nice to have met. What team were you on?

Ian – No sweat, dude. We lost it as a team. Some of those guys can really throw some nasty stuff!! But it was fun anyway!

5. Don M

March 12, 2013 at 10:59 am

I was on The HJ’s … and actually stood right next to your bench the first game -should’ve asked who everyone was- just assumed the people I didn’t know were friends of Ian and Jon

My team lost 5-0 to the Swamp Ducks..

Then after being down 7-0 to Wiffledelphia, managed to score 5, but ran out of time to start a new innings, lost 7-5.

Then won our last game 8-5, but that included me allowing one of the girls on the other team to get a 2-run hit off me with the game on the line … I could’ve sat her down with the curveball, but I’m a gentleman … and gave her some stuff to hit

• Chuck A.

March 12, 2013 at 12:46 pm

I was the guy with the flannel shirt on that stuck out like a sore thumb. I didn’t realize that some of these dudes take this pretty seriously with the unis, etc. Whatever… I had a good time.

As for our team, we won the first game 7-3 or something like that. I actually impressed myself by getting two hits and an RBI and a walk but things went quickly downhill from there as the pitching got more serious in Game 2 and the Ks started to mount! We were up 6-0 to the 97.5 team but we ended up losing it 7-6 in “extras”

Lost our consolation game as well by some God-awful amount. Pat was nice about it, though, by letting my 15 year old and two of his buddies play since it was late and we needed players and it was a meaningless game anyway.

Great event! Good people! It was fun being involved!

6. Don M

March 12, 2013 at 11:07 am

Also …. the trophy was awesome. Great job by Star Laser, Inc. !!!