Report: Jimmy Rollins May Miss Opening Day

According to reports, shortstop Jimmy Rollins did not fly to Arlington with the Phillies for Opening Day as he and his wife are expecting their second child. Jayson Nix would likely be the Opening Day shortstop if Rollins is not available.

Best of luck to the Rollins family!

1. Double Trouble Del

March 30, 2014 at 4:57 pm

I would rather see Jayson instead of Laynce although it might be more entertaining.

2. mudmin

March 30, 2014 at 6:10 pm

Figures… Jimmy being Jimmy.

• Jacob

March 30, 2014 at 6:34 pm

Seriously? I hope you’re joking.

• schmenkman

March 30, 2014 at 6:38 pm

Agreed, that was uncalled for.

• Jay Edwards

March 30, 2014 at 6:54 pm

Yep. This is real life.

• YnotTony

March 30, 2014 at 10:07 pm

ridiculous comment …you are obviously not a family person!

3. Dave B

March 30, 2014 at 8:07 pm

No wonder him and Rhino don’t see eye to eye . I think it may be a long season for Rollins

• schmenkman

March 30, 2014 at 8:17 pm

What in the world are you talking about?

• wbramh

March 31, 2014 at 12:29 pm

I think it was a reminder to keep a safe distance from rhinos. You know, a public service announcement or something. The other choice would be too ignorant to entertain.

4. Morris Buttermaker

March 30, 2014 at 10:40 pm

Good luck Jimmy. I hope everything works out well.

5. Dave

March 31, 2014 at 7:34 am

Jimmy actually just missed the birth. Apparently if he had hustled in to the hospital from the parking lot he would have made it. He said he didn’t want to risk injury on those newly waxed floors.

6. SotehPR

March 31, 2014 at 7:36 am

I would put Hernández at Short instead of Nix xD… Also i would Star giving Asche some time at second… I believr he could be Utleys successor there when Franco arrives 🙂

7. PAmikeyDC

March 31, 2014 at 7:59 am

@Dave, that was actually very funny.

And @schnekman, totally ignore those random other posts. They are nobodies and now that this great site does not require any authentication to log on- any one can post.

Family first ALWAYS. (God 1st technically). Anyways, imagine y’all if Jimmy didn’t tend to his wife and baby and played. Hypocrite people. We all have to remember that it’s just a game….go Phillies, 82-80.

• Dave

March 31, 2014 at 8:44 am

Thanks…I have a feeling we are going to need a sense of humor for the upcoming season 🙂

• Ryne Duren

March 31, 2014 at 9:13 am

Yea Dave I’m already laughing! To hide my tears. I have a great sense of humor but this is going to be ridiculous! See, that was my humorous input. Hope I’m wrong though. Go Phils.

8. Ryne Duren

March 31, 2014 at 9:10 am

Hey if Jimmy needs to be with his wife and newborn when it happens good for him! I wouldn’t have missed my three childrens birth for anything in the world. I’m sure someone out there is thinking that Jimmy dubiously timed the conception and birth just to miss opening day. NOT.
    If he was that savvy, he would be able to figure out which pitch was coming next. Hope the baby and wife are healthy and no complications. Good luck to the Rollins family.

March 31, 2014 at 12:20 pm

Rollins is listed in todays lineup according to MLB- any one know if they had the baby?

10. CALI

April 1, 2014 at 3:46 am

As a friend of the family i can only say that FAMILY comes first and as it turned out GRANDSLAM BABY!