2014 Game Recaps

Niese, Mets Too Much for Phillies In Rain-Soaked Loss

Fresh off their 6-4 road trip, the Phillies came home to an awful evening at the park; both weather-wise and with their play. Jon Niese shut the Phillies down over seven innings as the Mets won, 6-1, at a rain-soaked Citizens Bank Park.

-Hamels looked sharp in the firs two innings, then completely fell apart. Six days after a solid start to begin his year in Los Angeles, Hamels allowed six runs on eight hits in just 4 2/3 innings. While velocity did not seem to be a problem, control was. He threw just 55 strikes over 106 pitches. The rain fell very hard, at times, which could have led to the disastrous outing.

-HIs line: 4 2/3 IP, 8 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 5 BB, 3 SO. Better luck next time.

-The weather didn’t put a damper on Jon Niese’s evening. He was great – or maybe the Phillies just didn’t want to be there. Niese didn’t allow a hit until Marlon Byrd went yard in the fourth. He kept hitters off balance all night, going seven strong innings in the win.

-The forecast appears ominous for tomorrow night, which is why they tried like hell to get this one in tonight. And that’s fine, because I’d like to watch Game 7 of the Flyers/Rangers series.

1. PaMikeyDC

April 30, 2014 at 7:43 am

But, hey, at least the BP looked good tonight ūüôā

• lefty

April 30, 2014 at 1:29 pm

MLB network just showed a graphic stating that the Phils pen has a 1.32 ERA in the last 5 games. They’ve been pretty good of late.

2. Chuck A.

April 30, 2014 at 11:24 am

Go Flyers!!!!!!!!!!

• wbramh

April 30, 2014 at 4:01 pm

Go Flyers? Aren’t those the guys who use the basketball arena between “Disney on Ice” shows?
      When you say “go,” where are they going, New York for a holiday, maybe?
      I hope they have a good time – hear theres a great show playing at the Garden.

I kid Flyers fans.
      My friend Frank and I helped fill their empty seats back in 1967.
      I guess we told too many people about them. Haven’t been able to afford a seat since 1972.

3. rellis

April 30, 2014 at 1:16 pm

I am tired of seeing this team lay down like dogs whenever Cole Hamels pitches especially when he is not on his game. It happened in LA when he was on his game and now last night and it happens more often than not during the season. If they fall behind, game over. Bats go silent. Not every pitcher that opposes Hamels is Cy Young but they make him look like it. If there is a problem or disconnect between Hamels and the team, then trade him. I don’t think it’s a coincidence or “just baseball” anymore.

• lefty

April 30, 2014 at 1:25 pm

So you believe they hate him so much that that throw games? Seriously?

• Hogey's Role

April 30, 2014 at 2:18 pm

Wow really, I’ve read some conspiracies before, some of them are so crazy they might be true, but this, this is just plain insane

• wbramh

April 30, 2014 at 3:42 pm

Oh yeah? Well when Hamels is proven to be the 21st 9/11 hijacker you’ll change your tune. The team is just testing him.

Hmm, Hogey is a play on the word Hoagie which is our local term for a sub which could be an abbreviation for “subversive.”

Are you behind this sinister anti-Hamels plot, Hogey?
        Come on. Out with it!

• Hogey's Role

April 30, 2014 at 5:18 pm

Why I’ve never… I, i, alright you got me w, I am the man behind this whole thing, you may think you have stopped me, exposing my plan to turn the team on hamels, you may have saved him for now, but they’re are others you won’t be able to save, the plans are already in motion the wheels are turning, dare I say the Hogey’s are rolling?? Hahahaha

• wbramh

April 30, 2014 at 11:14 pm

You’re an evil genius, Hogey.

• Hogey's Role

May 1, 2014 at 11:56 am

Well evil maybe, lol

• George

May 1, 2014 at 5:17 pm

The team must also be throwing the Cliff Lee starts. Just like Hamels, he doesn’t get any run support.

Maybe they just hate lefthanders.

• Hogey's Role

May 1, 2014 at 5:22 pm

There’s a theory out there that lefties throw the balance of the universe off, anything is possible here, George

• George

May 2, 2014 at 9:44 am

I have an alternate theory. It seems obvious to me that due to the majority of people being right-handed, the balance of the universe is off because there aren’t enough lefties to “right the ship.”

I know that crazy righthanders like myself need to be counterbalanced, probably by as many as two or three left-handed nut cases.

• Hogey's Role

May 2, 2014 at 9:55 am

You may be on to something there, as I’m in that same boat myself

4. teejayvee

April 30, 2014 at 8:44 pm

As I posted before the game, this was a bad matchup for the Phiitlies. Niese owns them and
    Hamels usually struggles v the Mers.