If we learned anything in the last few weeks, it is that Andrew McCutchen has a career in comedy waiting for him when he retires from baseball. His Uncle Larry videos, which were born out of a Howard Eskin typo on Twitter, have solidified that. McCutchen, however, could choose a different path.
On Real Pro Talk with Pittsburgh Steelers Chaplain Kent Chevalier, McCutchen talked about a variety of topics, including his path to the major leagues, how he met his wife Maria and his faith in Jesus Christ. He was also asked if he was interested in a career in broadcasting when he retires. His answer was intriguing.
“I’ve had this talk with my wife before and I always say I can’t see myself sitting down behind the desk with a suit on and just talking about the game,” McCutchen said. “But I do see myself being in that life of something. Being somewhere around there doing something. Who knows what it is but I can see myself doing something like that but not necessarily sitting there and talking about the game itself.”
From what it sounds like, we’ll never get to see McCutchen ranting alongside Ricky Bottalico after a loss on Phillies Postgame Live.
In the last few years, however, we’ve seen an explosion of player-driven media in baseball. From Trevor Bauer’s YouTube channel to C.C. Sabathia’s R2C2 podcast, now is the best time to be a current or former player looking to enter the industry. Fans love to hear from players on their experiences in the big leagues as well as their analysis. Former players in media are no longer pigeonholed into certain roles such as a color commentating.
McCutchen recently appeared on Sequence with Trevor Plouffe and judging by his ability to both tell an intriguing story and explain the mechanics of his swing, he would be a very successful baseball media personality post-career. This isn’t even regarding the fact that he is one of baseball’s top stars of the last 10 years:
In the Instagram Live chat, McCutchen also revealed that he does not have a favorite cheesesteak place but many of his teammates have recommended Dalessandro’s:
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- 5 Things We Learned From Bryce Harper’s Incredibly Honest Interview
- Pete Rose Accused Of Corking Bat For Portion Of Career
- What Was Ryan Howard’s Most Memorable Home Run? The Former MVP Answers…
- A Look Back At Some Phillies’ High School Careers In Other Sports
- Ruben Amaro Jr. Says He Never Wanted To Trade Cliff Lee
- Bryce Harper Says MLB Players Should Play In Olympics To Grow Sport
- Pitching Prospect Damon Jones Staying Ready For Next Opportunity, Whenever It May Come
- The Forgotten Iconic No-Hitter In Phillies History
- Bryce Harper: ‘Blackouts Are Killing The Game’
- These 10 Players Have Made The Most Money As Phillies