Final Score: Phillies 5, Braves 0
In his second start of the season, Jake Arrieta impressed, throwing six scoreless innings in a win against the Atlanta Braves. Both Arrieta and the Phillies bullpen combined to completely neutralize the top of the Braves order. The Braves’ 1-4 hitters combined to go 0-for-15 with one walk in the game.
J.T. Realmuto and Jay Bruce both contributed with home runs that carried over 420 ft.
The Phillies and Braves will play a straight doubleheader Sunday afternoon beginning at 1:05 pm ET. The second game will begin approximately 40 minutes after the first game concludes. Vince Velasquez and Spencer Howard are expected to start the Phillies.
- After only mustering two hits off Kyle Wright through three, Realmuto led off the bottom of the fourth with a bomb that landed in Harry the K’s. As soon as it came off the bat, Realmuto knew it was gone as he gestured to his teammates in the first-base dugout.
- Bruce followed up Realmuto with a missile of his own. Wright missed badly on a first-pitch slider and the soon-to-be free agent Bruce sent the pitch to the home bullpen, giving the Phillies a 4-0 lead.
- With Arrieta cruising, Adam Duvall hit an 0-1 curveball on a line drive to right field. Harper ran to his left and stretched out to a make a spectacular play to get the second out in the top of the fifth.
- With two on and nobody out in the top of the sixth, Dansby Swanson lined the first pitch from Arrieta right to the shortstop Didi Gregorius. He flipped to Scott Kingery at second for a big 6-4 double play.
- Gregorius extended the Phillies’ lead to 5-0 in the eighth with a single that brought home Harper, who doubled to lead-off the inning. It was his fourth RBI on the season.
Shibe Vintage Sports Starting Pitching Performance
Jake Arrieta: 6 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 6 K, 89 pitches
The Phillies have to be extremely pleased with what they’ve seen from Arrieta so far. He threw six shutout innings with little stress in between. When he was in trouble, his defense was able to bail him out with fine plays in the field.
Kyle Wright: 6 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 3 BB, 3 K, 2 HR, 91 pitches
The rookie pitcher was no match for the Phillies’ deep lineup. In his second career start against the Phillies, he gave up two moonshots in the fourth, the second of which gave the Phillies a comfortable lead.
Phillies Nuggets Player of the Game: Jay Bruce
A big reason why the Phillies stood to gain a ton from the National League implementing the designated hitter is because of Bruce. His three-run home run put the game out of reach for a Braves lineup that really struggled to get anything going.
Ticket IQ Next Game
- Sunday, 1:05 pm ET vs. Atlanta Braves at Citizens Bank Park
- Next game begins 40 minutes after the first concludes.
- Game 1: NBC Sports Philadelphia, TBS (out-of-market)
- Game 2: NBC Sports Philadelphia+
- Both Games: Sportsradio 94 WIP
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- Remembering Bart Braun, Whose Fingerprints Are On Everyone In The Phillies Organization
- Phillies’ 2020 Walk-Up Songs
- Joe Girardi Favors Postseason Expansion In Short And Long Term
- Phillies Announce That Seranthony Dominguez Had Successful Tommy John Surgery
- Rhys Hoskins Makes Another Adjustment To His Stance
- Jake Arrieta Says Phillies Are Trying To Follow ‘Exceptional’ Lead Of Joe Girardi
- Former Top Prospect Domonic Brown Returns To Reading, This Time As Youth Coach
- Andrew McCutchen Leads Movement To Bring Unity Among All
- Keith Law Discusses State Of Phillies Farm System
- Roman Quinn Says He’s A Fan Of MLB’s New Extra-Innings Rule