We’ll save you the lazy J.T. Realmuto pun, but the Philadelphia Phillies signed an exciting catcher Friday, one other than the two-time All-Star.
Friday, the MLB’s international signing period opened, and MLB.com‘s Jesse Sanchez reported that the Phillies have agreed to a $1.2 million contract with 17-year-old catcher Rickardo Perez.
Perez, a native of Venezuela, was MLB Pipeline‘s No. 9 overall international prospect. Of Perez, MLB Pipeline says “He has a chance to be an above average hitter and already shows flashes of power to all fields. He has a chance to make an impact on both sides of the ball.”
At 17, there’s obviously quite a bit of development that still needs to take place with Perez. Still, it’s not hard to imagine him eventually succeeding Realmuto, if the Phillies re-sign their current backstop for five seasons.
Perez wasn’t the only signing of the day, with Sanchez also noting that the Phillies have inked a $1.4 million deal with outfielder Yemal Flores:
Baseball America offered the following assessment of Flores, who is also 17 years old: “Flores has a strong, sturdy build and big power. It comes at the expense of some swing-and-miss tendencies, but Flores generates loft, backspin and drives the ball with impact when he connects.”
Additionally, Ben Badler of Baseball America reports that the Phillies have signed four shortstops Marco Soto, Julio Hereaux, Leonardo Rondon and Yemil Rosario; two more catchers in Manuel Mejias and Dervin Andrade; a catcher/outfielder in Solardo Rodriguez; three RHPs in Daniel Mejia, Joset Aparicio and Juan Melendez and an outfielder Raylin Heredia.
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- The Top 10 Phillies Home Runs Of The 2020 Season
- Dave Dombrowski Provides Update On J.T. Realmuto, Didi Gregorius
- Andrew Knapp: ‘I Do Think That I Can Play Every Day’
- Would Phillies Be Able To Compete In A Meaningful Way During J.T. Realmuto’s Remaining Peak Years?
- Phillies Should Avoid Banking On Spencer Howard As Key Starter In 2021
- 5 J.T. Realmuto Free Agency Scenarios That End In Him Signing Elsewhere
- What Was The Biggest Home Run Of Chase Utley’s Career?
- Phillies Trade For Intriguing Reliever José Alvarado
- Which Former Phillies Are Still Free Agents?
- The Hidden Value In J.T. Realmuto Lies Within His Improved Pitch-Framing Abilities
- The Top 10 Phillies Home Runs At Citizens Bank Park