The Phillies have placed reliever Archie Bradley on the 10-day injured list with a left oblique strain, the team announces. In a corresponding move, the Phillies have recalled left-handed pitcher JoJo Romero from the alternate site in Lehigh Valley.
Bradley pitched in the seventh inning of Saturday night’s 5-4 defeat against the Braves. He allowed two baserunners and was charged with the loss after Jose Alvarado allowed one of Bradley’s inherited runners to score on a communication breakdown in the infield.
Bradley is unable to pinpoint his injury to a specific action. He felt pain following his outing on Saturday. Oblique injuries are new to him so he doesn’t know what to expect as far as the timeline goes.
“I kind of didn’t feel great coming off the off day,” Bradley said before Sunday’s game. “Got the shot, had a bad night of shivers and cold aches, and we kind of just played it off as that. When I got done yesterday, obviously I wasn’t very happy with the results, kind of sitting there I was like ‘Man I can really feel this in my side.'”
When asked about a report of Bradley’s injury before the team’s official announcement, Joe Girardi declined to comment on the possible roster moves the team had to make.
Girardi did hint at the chance of Romero getting the call-up saying that his reports from the satellite camp indicate that he’s throwing the ball well.
“Stay tuned,” Girardi said before Sunday’s game.
Romero, 24, made his major-league debut last season at Truist Park. He faced Adam Duvall, Austin Riley and Johan Camargo and struck out the side in order. His 7.59 ERA to finish the season is deceiving considering how well he pitched during his first few weeks in the big leagues.
To the surprise of many, Romero was kept off the Opening Day roster. The Phillies prioritized length out of the bullpen, so they kept the likes of David Hale, Vince Velasquez and Sam Coonrod and optioned Romero.
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- Phillies 2021 Walk-Up Songs
- Phillies Nation Top 20 Phillies Prospects: March 2021
- Inside The Phillies Plan To Fix Former Top Prospect Scott Kingery
- Brad Miller Revitalized His Career During First Stint With The Phillies
- What Fans Should Know Before Returning To Citizens Bank Park
- Spencer Howard Will Wear Many Hats This Season
- What Will Former No. 1 Overall Pick Mark Appel’s Role Be In The Phillies Organization?
- J.T. Realmuto Could Have Been Traded For Another Future Phillie In 2014
- Bryce Harper’s Major Adjustment In The Outfield
- Report: Phillies Expected To Be Players In Next Offseason’s Historic SS Market