Final Score: Phillies 5, Braves 1
With increasing evidence that Dave Dombrowski plans to buy ahead of next Friday’s MLB trade deadline, the Philadelphia Phillies pulled to .500 by defeating the Atlanta Braves in the second game of a four-game weekend set.
Though he’s often gotten burned trying to take the extra base in the past, Bryce Harper stole a career-high three bases Friday evening at Citizens Bank Park.
The most notable stolen base came in the bottom of the fifth inning. With Harper on third base and two outs, it appeared that Rhys Hoskins was going to be picked off to end the inning. Instead, Harper bolted home, forcing a throw that he beat and allowing Hoskins to get to second base safely.
In addition to Harper’s strong night, J.T. Realmuto hit his 10th home run of the season, with Jean Segura and Rhys Hoskins also driving in runs:
With a strong pitching performance from the trio of Zack Wheeler, Archie Bradley and Ranger Suárez, the Phillies were able to secure one of their most stress-free wins of the season.
Shibe Vintage Sports Starting Pitching Performance
- Max Fried finished fifth in National League Cy Young Award voting last season, but has struggled in 2021. The 27-year-old lefty didn’t get back on track in the second game of this weekend series, as he walked four Phillies and allowed four earned runs in five innings. Fried’s ERA on the season now sits at 4.46.
- Zack Wheeler wasn’t at his sharpest Friday, as he allowed seven hits. Still, he scattered those hits across seven frames, limiting the Braves to one run. On the season, the All-Star now has a 2.37 ERA in 132 2/3 innings. With Jacob deGrom on the injured list, Wheeler could very well make a run at the National League Cy Young Award.
Phillies Nugget Of The Game
With his third-inning RBI Friday, Freddie Freeman now has 118 career RBIs against the Phillies, the most that the reigning National League MVP has against any individual team.
Ticket IQ Next Game
- Saturday, July 24 vs. Braves at Citizens Bank Park
- 6:05 p.m. ET
- TV: NBC Sports Philadelphia
- Radio: SportsRadio 94 WIP
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- ‘Man I Throw Hay Bales On A Trailer’: Christian McGowan Comes From Small Town To Phillies
- Report: ‘Primary Targets’ Of Phillies Are High-Leverage Relievers, No. 4 Starters
- Here’s Everything You Need To Know About Cole Hamels’ Showcase
- Report: Phillies Would Be Interested In Byron Buxton If Made Available
- Phillies 8th Rounder Jason Ruffcorn Brings ‘Signature’ Look In Relief
- Report: One Contender Interested In Trevor Story As A Center Fielder
- Brian Barber On Mick Abel: ‘He’s Exactly What We Thought He Was Going To Be’
- Brad Miller On Zack Wheeler: ‘It’s Cy Young, MVP – It’s All Of It’
- Exec On Gabe Kapler: ‘He Learned A Lot Of Lessons’ From Time With Phillies
- Phillies 2021 Walk-Up Songs