J.T. Realmuto may be dealing with another injury.
The Phillies catcher caught an 89 mph sinker in the left elbow in the fourth inning of Thursday’s game against the Cubs. Realmuto stayed in the game and played up until the eighth when Andrew Knapp was brought in on a double switch.
A reporter asked manager Joe Girardi after the game about how Realmuto felt after striking out in the sixth. His right shoulder tends to bother him when he swings and misses, but it turns out he may be dealing with an injury to his left tricep muscle after getting hit in the elbow.
“Those triceps, you’re never sure,” Girardi said after the game. “They’re treating it now and they’re trying to get the swelling out. I won’t know [his availability] until I get to the park tomorrow.”
Realmuto went 4-for-8 during the Cubs series and looked to be turning around his September struggles at the plate. He came into the series with a .628 OPS in 41 at-bats since Sept. 2 and had been fighting a nagging shoulder injury in the process. The Phillies catcher received a cortisone shot after Sunday’s game, according to Scott Lauber of the Philadelphia Inquirer.
The Phillies will face right-hander Taijuan Walker in the opener against the Mets at Citi Field. Realmuto is 2-for-6 with a home run in his career against Walker. They’ll face right-hander Carlos Carrasco on Saturday and lefty Rich Hill on Sunday.
Update 3:12 PM: J.T. Realmuto is in the lineup for Friday’s game against New York. He’ll bat fourth and catch.
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- Phillies Nation Top 20 Prospects: September 2021
- 500 Strikeouts Later, Héctor Neris Remains An Integral Part Of Phillies Bullpen
- Brett Myers Is Trying To Make A Comeback To Philadelphia — But Not To Play Baseball
- ‘I’m A Little Different Than Most’: Meet The Phillies’ Eccentric New Pitching Prospect
- September Is Far From Aaron Nola’s Biggest Issue
- Bryce Harper Offers To Fill In At Catcher
- Phillies Reportedly Are ‘Favorites’ To Sign Highly-Touted Venezuelan Prospect
- Ask Phillies Nation: Which Reliever Should The Phillies Re-Sign?
- Spencer Howard Gives Incredible Quote On His Time In Philly
- Phillies 2021 Walk-Up Songs