Philadelphia Phillies catching prospect Logan O’Hoppe helped Double-A Reading continue its winning streak with a walk-off home run this past weekend.
His game-winning blast to end the first half of a doubleheader on Sunday completed the third straight victory for the Fightin Phils, who made it a four-game streak after beating Bowie again later in the day.
Reading improved to 16-17 on the minor-league season; the Triple-A Lehigh Valley IronPigs are 19-17; the High-A Jersey Shore BlueClaws are 11-20; the Low-A Clearwater Threshers are a system-best 18-12.
O’Hoppe lifts Fightins past Bowie
O’Hoppe has struggled at the plate a bit since the start of May, hitting only .212. But in a crucial moment on Sunday, he came through with a home run to left-center field to walk it off against right-hander Tyler Burch, a former Phillies prospect traded to Baltimore last season for Freddy Galvis.
The 22-year-old O’Hoppe is now slashing .253/.372/.421 with three home runs in 27 games this season. After a breakout 2021 in which he hit 17 home runs across three levels, the young backstop is one of the more intriguing prospects in the Phillies system. His performance in this jump to Double-A will be a key test for both his standing within the organization as well as how much he could interest other teams as the trade deadline approaches.
Lee produces in Clearwater
Infielder Hao Yu Lee was named the Florida State League Player of the Week after going 10-for-22 with four home runs in the Threshers’ most recent series.
Lee, 19, was signed by the Phillies out of Taiwan last summer. He’s been on fire to begin his first full professional season, batting .327/.417/.536 with five homers in 28 games. Capable of playing shortstop, second base and third, Lee is the type of young hitter with some upside that could be exciting to follow as he progresses.
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- Phillies 2022 Walk-Up Songs
- Analyzing Joe Girardi’s Decision-Making In Friday’s Win
- The Numbers Behind The Phillies’ Bizarre Cycle Drought
- For Now, Joe Girardi’s Job Is Reportedly Safe
- The Phillies Really Pulled Off A Once-In-A-Generation Collapse
- ‘That Was Pretty Special’: Brad Miller Reflects On Best Moments With Phillies
- Phillies Honor Minor League Pitcher Who Is Battling Cancer
- Media Review: ESPN’s New Sunday Night Baseball Booth, In-Game Interviews
- 2021 First-Round Pick Andrew Painter Strikes Out 13 Consecutive Batters For Single-A Clearwater
- ‘It’s A Moment That I’ll Always Have’: Andrew McCutchen Reflects On HR In First Phillies At-Bat