News

Sean Rodriguez criticizes ‘entitled’ fans following walk-off

PHILADELPHIA, PA – AUGUST 26: Philadelphia Phillies Infield Sean Rodriguez (13) gets a Powerade bath from Philadelphia Phillies Infield Brad Miller (33) after the game between the Pittsburgh Pirates and Philadelphia Phillies on August 26, 2019 at Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia, PA. (Photo by Kyle Ross/Icon Sportswire)

Monday night’s series opener against the Pirates was a wild one. The Phillies coughed up a two-run lead, came back to take the lead in the eighth and then gave up the game-tying homer in the ninth. Luckily, they were able to win it in the 11th courtesy of a walk-off home run from utility man, Sean Rodriguez. For a guy whose been consistently criticized by fans, Monday night was a truly good moment for the struggling veteran going up against his former club. Unfortunately, he didn’t stay in Phillies fans good graces for too long.

Coming into the game, Rodriguez had a .147 average on the season against right-handers and had just one hit in 19 August at-bats, mostly in pinch-hit opportunities. Rodriguez has heard comments from fans and media about his performance, especially after another Maikel Franco demotion, and isn’t quite sure booing is a great way for fans to get the best out of the players.

“Well, think about it. Who’s looking bad and feeling entitled when you hear stuff like that. I’m asking you,” Rodriguez told reporters, including Philly.com’s Matt Breen. “I’m not the one booing. I’m not the one screaming. I’m not the one saying pretty disgusting things at times. That seems pretty entitled. You’re just making yourself look pretty bad as an individual, as a person, as a fan.”

The boos he is referencing aren’t just directed at him. He hears them coming at Rhys Hoskins and he heard them earlier in the year when Bryce Harper was slumping. In the end, Rodriguez believes that some fans feel entitled in these moments.

“[Hoskins] has 60-plus homers in three years and you’re booing him. Explain that to me. That’s entitled fans,” Rodriguez said. “I don’t know if it’s them feeling like they’re owed something. There’s nobody in here that doesn’t want to win. That’s what sucks. When we hear that, we’ve learned to try and take that and use it like we should. But if I sat and just buried you every single day verbally, is that helping?”

Rodriguez went on to mention that there’s no one in the clubhouse that doesn’t want to win. That may very well be true, but don’t expect fans to boo any less because of what Rodriguez said after the game.

Although the Phillies dropped two out of three to the Marlins over the weekend, their win against the Pirates put them just one game back of the Cubs for the second Wild Card spot in the National League.

MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION

1. Bryce Harper and Wife Kayla Welcome First Child
  2. J.T. Realmuto Is Having A Special Season
  3. The Phillies Future In Center Field Is Murky
  4. What’s Wrong With Rhys Hoskins?
  5. Jay Bruce Set for Rehab, Neshek’s Ailing Hamstring, Franco Demoted
  6. 10 Years Later, Brad Lidge Talks ‘Battling’ Through 2009

1. Jaron B

August 27, 2019 at 10:04 am

Entitled isnt the word I’d have used but he has a point… when should you boo?

• Bob

August 27, 2019 at 10:22 am

Is batting under .200 enough to boo? I think yes

2. Pingback: Sean Rodriguez critique les supporters de "l’intitulé" après la victoire – Phillies Nation | FR7 News

3. Ray Swisher

August 27, 2019 at 11:29 am

I’m as critical of the Phillies as anyone else at times, but he is right. Even though most of us played the game, we never played at this level and have no idea of the athletic ability and focus it takes to play 162 games in one season. I, as well as every other fan, need to appreciate effort ( except for lack of hustle), even if that effort results in a strikeout.

4. james

August 27, 2019 at 11:49 am

These players are getting paid millions of dollars if there not performing like they should then yea they should get booed. Now to curse and to say nasty things is uncalled for but hell yea boo they butt if they not playing well and to come out and and try to get one over the fans because he finally had a good game is corny of his part.

5. Justinan World

August 27, 2019 at 12:00 pm

if they were smart men they would not be running around a square for a job…..

6. Fleming Hill

August 27, 2019 at 12:09 pm

Mr. Rodriguez,
    we are entitled to have expectations for this team, after all we pay your salary by going to the games and other merchandise!
    You are not entitled to be on the team you earn your spot somehow.

I put this terrible teams leadership in criticism. For one the should release you immediately for going after the fan base!

So management or lack of management will Mr. Rodriguez be cut immediately?
    Does Mr. Middleton have that control or does he appreciate one of his employees going after his fan base?

Sounds like a losing proposition to me!

7. Boo if I want to

August 27, 2019 at 12:43 pm

I would not boo Hoskins. I generally reserve my boos for lack of hustle and effort. Rodriguez to me before this was a guy I would not cheer nor would I boo. I was indifferent to him. However any chance I get now he will booed like I seldom boo. One big hit all year and now he thinks he gets to tell us how we should behave. And he says the fans are entitled. 11 strikeouts in 20 at bats for a guy who is not even a power hitter. Oh Mr Rodriguez, I have a feeling you will get the wrath of the Philly faithful as much as anyone has, and that you are entitled too.

8. Tracey

August 27, 2019 at 1:04 pm

You know who is “entitled”? Someone who gets paid a million dollars a year to play a children’s game.

People who earn less in a year than you do in a week and use their hard-earned money to watch your game are ENTITLED to see a first-class product, and that is not what the Phillies have been providing.

9. Jeff Orbach

August 27, 2019 at 2:37 pm

When I boo, I boo the situation and not the player. If you are facing a pitcher who can’t get the ball over and you swing at the first 2 pitches and pop-up to the infield you deserve to be boo’d. That shows a lack of situational awareness, you deserve to be boo’d.

As for Srod, who imho doesn’t belong on a major league roster-BOOOO. You closed your eyes swung as hard as you could and hit a bomb after striking most every other time you get up. Now you make pronouncements? Take your participation trophy and go home.

10. Bill

August 27, 2019 at 3:44 pm

Former season ticket holder until I moved to FL.
    Will certainly drop MLB next year.
    Under the Mendoza line player who will be back in the minors next year telling fans what to do…ha.
    Get a haircut and zip your lip.
    And, by the way Hank Aaron, Hoskins could use a few of you hitting insights.

11. Tom

August 27, 2019 at 10:41 pm

If a professional in any manner of life can’t handle criticism for their performance, then they shouldn’t be in that line of business. Double that statement when you’re a professional athlete making more in a year than 99.8% of Americans. Philly fans cheer hard and boo hard because we want to win. You know who needs to get booed? Gabe Kapler. Why put your worst player at the moment at the top of the lineup day in and day out? It’s a pressure spot there. Drop him in the order and let him hit his way out. Don’t put him at the top and expect everyone else to do magic to make up for it. This season is painful to watch.

12. Kevin Thomer

August 28, 2019 at 6:48 am

Rodriguez is a tool and not a sharp one at that. Fans boo because they care about this team. Grow some skin dude, you play a game for a job.

13. El Kabong

August 28, 2019 at 1:41 pm

It’s Philly, man! We booed freakin’ Santa Claus! Booing is our way of telling you we’re not happy with your performance. We’re tryin’ to light a fire under your ass, so man up!

14. James Rockford

August 28, 2019 at 6:03 pm

Entitled!!! Your damn right I feel entitled. I’m one of the hard working Philidelphians that has for 40 some years bought tickets, concessions, fan gear, never missed a game on TV or radio and lived and died with each pitch.im one of the many fans who have stuck with mediocre team after mediocre team in a rush to be the quickest to 10,000 losses, while players like this hand out insults in a season which has broken every Phillies fans heart. Entitled… Maybe you should look in the mirror. Shut your pie hole ,play the game hard and be grateful you have the opportunity to participate in one of the greatest games ever even at the mediocre level you are playing at.

• Jeff Orbach