Phillies Nation

News

Why the Phillies-Giants series won’t be on NBC Sports Philadelphia

The Phillies are set to visit Gabe Kapler and the first-place San Francisco Giants over Father’s Day weekend from June 18 to the 20th. None of those games will be on television.

Jimmy Rollins will be in the broadcast booth during the upcoming weekend series against the Giants. (Gavin Baker/Icon Sportswire)

MLB and NBC announced Monday (via Awful Announcing) that the entire series will stream nationwide for free exclusively on the network’s streaming service Peacock. Out-of-market viewers are still able to view the game on MLB.tv. All three games will not be featured on the Giants and Phillies respective local television networks: NBC Sports Bay Area and NBC Sports Philadelphia.

Legendary broadcasters Jon Miller and Mike Krukow will team up with John Kruk and Jimmy Rollins to call the action. Kruk and Rollins will call the game on-site in San Francisco, according to Todd Zolecki of MLB.com. Tom McCarthy will have the weekend off, which he confirmed on Twitter.

Peacock will also provide a pregame studio show starting at 9:00 pm ET on Friday and 3:30 pm ET on Saturday and Sunday.

On one hand, a booth comprised of Rollins, Kruk, Krukow and Miller should make for an exciting watch. For fans who pay cable fees to watch sports, it’s frustrating to see networks move games off of television and onto streaming services.

First pitch for Friday’s game is scheduled for 9:45 pm ET. Saturday and Sunday’s game have an east coast friendly 4:05 pm ET start time.

MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION

1. Charlie Manuel Responds To Fan Who Says He ‘Cost The Phillies A World Series’
  2. Mickey Moniak Responds To Joe Girardi’s Comments, Sees Himself As Center Fielder
  3. The Phillies Are Sticking With Héctor Neris At Closer
  4. Phillies Will Be Forced To Consider Drastic Defensive Overhaul After 2021
  5. Phillies Not Ruling Out The Possibility Of Seranthony Domínguez Pitching In 2021
  6. How The Phillies Can Optimize Their Rotation With Light Schedule Ahead
  7. What Phillies Have A Chance To Make The All-Star Team?
  8. 33 Numbers To Remember: The Defining Stats Of Cliff Lee’s Career
  9. Former College Two-Way Standout Climbing Phillies’ Minor League Ranks As Pitcher
  10. Phillies 2021 Walk-Up Songs

1. Manrico Alfred Troncelliti

June 14, 2021 at 6:28 pm

I think that the word that you are looking for is “exorbitant” cable fees, not “exuberant” cable fees. I am being told that according to you, subscribers to mlbtv in the Philadelphia and San Francisco marketswill not be blacked out as they usually are from watching the games on mlbtv. Is that accurate, or is Ryan Lawrence tweeting out more inaccurate information?

2. Michael Merlo

June 14, 2021 at 9:16 pm

Yes, with the $$ I pay for cable, I demand to see the Giants. You all money grabbing idiots should be embarrassed.

• Dwayne Fitz

June 21, 2021 at 8:10 am

I agree wholeheartedly. I have to look at the games on an iPad instead of my 50 inch TV. They should be ashamed of forcing us to watch the games this way. I have been watching the Phillies on TV for 40 some years. This is disgrace

3. Pete

June 15, 2021 at 12:35 pm

What a bleeping joke.

4. David Burch

June 16, 2021 at 12:06 pm

This is garbage. I pay Comcast for the ability to watch every Phillies game. They need to refund my money for games not available.

• Paul Ludwig

June 19, 2021 at 6:37 pm

Peacock sucks! Bottom line. Why do I have to endure this crap when I pay for comcast?

• Dwayne Fitz

June 21, 2021 at 8:11 am

My fear is this is going to become a standard for watching the Phillies. Another way to get money

• Paul Ludwig

June 19, 2021 at 6:45 pm

I agree. This peacock is b…hit.

• Paul Ludwig

June 19, 2021 at 6:52 pm

Pee cock sucks. Then they monitor my comments. Good bye Comcast you jerks.

5. Yardbirder

June 19, 2021 at 5:34 pm

I agree David! Total bullshit. I tried that stupid Peacock and gave up. They make you jump through too many hoops to get to the game, so I gave up. Thanks NBC, for screwing me.

6. Paul Ludwig

June 19, 2021 at 6:39 pm

Then my comment has to be monitored. I think I will cancel Comcast.

7. Jimmy

June 20, 2021 at 6:46 pm

Glad for those who were blacked out but can now see the games. Hate peacock for monopolizing the national pastime to try to gain market share. Maybe they should stream something worthwhile to increase revenue instead of regurgitating the same crap you can see elsewhere.

8. Doug Houston

June 21, 2021 at 12:13 am

Terrible quality, glitchy application .

If this continues, I will cancel DirecTV and NBC. I pay for games I can record.
    Streaming didn’t let me watch it for a few hours and then what a substandard viewing.

9. aim

June 22, 2021 at 7:52 pm

Vote with your remote. Skip these games, in order to send their data crunchers a message — that we won’t flock like sheep to the Peacock.

10. Chuck

June 22, 2021 at 11:18 pm

No Phillies Giants game on tv? What a disgrace Comcast!!! Staying true to your total disregard for people. A slap in the face for all the life long fans that aren’t interested in new wi if crap! I just wanted to turn the tv one, tune into the Phils, but no! Greedy theives.