Final Score: Phillies 6, Nationals 5
So much about this era of Philadelphia Phillies baseball has become eerily predictable, and it felt for 25 outs like that would be the story Monday.
Instead, we’ll wait a night before discussing Spencer Howard’s velocity dip after having to run the bases. Or his exit with a blister on his right middle finger. Or perplexing bunt attempts from Ronald Torreyes and Brad Miller in the bottom of the sixth inning. Or even another costly defensive miscue from Didi Gregorius.
Make no mistake, Monday evening’s Phillies win over the Washington Nationals didn’t make the team look like a World Series contender. But an Andrew McCutchen walk-off home run off of Brad Hand puts the unquestionable issues that surround this team and era of Phillies baseball on the back-burner for an evening:
When the Phillies needed it, three of their big offensive performers — Jean Segura, Bryce Harper and McCutchen — came through. And with that, the Phillies are 50-49, very much in play in the National League East with the trade deadline looming.
Shibe Vintage Sports Starting Pitching Performance
- Joe Ross pitched five shutout innings for the Nationals Monday, limiting Phillies to just three hits. Ross — who has a 3.80 ERA in 2021 — is the type of pitcher that the Phillies need to solidify the back-end of their rotation after Zack Wheeler, Aaron Nola and Zach Eflin. He’s not going to compete for the National League Cy Young Award, but he’ll give you five innings and typically keep you in the game.
- Regardless of what caused Spencer Howard to leave the game after 3 2/3 innings, he appeared to be unraveling before he left the field with the trainer. On one hand, this may be the final season of pitchers batting. On the other hand, Howard may just be better geared to be a multi-inning reliever, as opposed to someone you lean on to throw 150-175 innings per season.
Phillies Nugget Of The Game
Ticket IQ Next Game
- Tuesday, July 27 vs. Nationals at Citizens Bank Park
- 7:05 p.m. ET
- TV: NBC Sports Philadelphia
- Radio: SportsRadio 94 WIP
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- ‘Man I Throw Hay Bales On A Trailer’: Christian McGowan Comes From Small Town To Phillies
- Report: ‘Primary Targets’ Of Phillies Are High-Leverage Relievers, No. 4 Starters
- Here’s Everything You Need To Know About Cole Hamels’ Showcase
- Report: Phillies Would Be Interested In Byron Buxton If Made Available
- Phillies 8th Rounder Jason Ruffcorn Brings ‘Signature’ Look In Relief
- Report: 9-Inning Doubleheaders Could Return In 2022
- Brian Barber On Mick Abel: ‘He’s Exactly What We Thought He Was Going To Be’
- Brad Miller On Zack Wheeler: ‘It’s Cy Young, MVP – It’s All Of It’
- Exec On Gabe Kapler: ‘He Learned A Lot Of Lessons’ From Time With Phillies
- Phillies 2021 Walk-Up Songs